Roasted Cheesy Potatoes

Baked Cheesy Potatoes
5 pounds of potatoes, peeled and cut
6 pieces of bacon cut into 2 inch pieces
1 small onion diced
1 stick butter
1/2 c olive oil
salt and pepper
Mild Cheddar Cheese (depends on how much you want)


Wash and cut your potatoes and put into baking dish. Sprinkle the onion and bacon pieces over top and add salt and pepper to your liking. Melt the butter and pour both the butter and olive oil over the potatoes and stir with a spoon to cover it all. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Then sprinkle cheese over the top, cover and return to oven for 15 more minutes.

I saw the above recipe (link in title) and immediately started daydreaming of when to have this! It probably didn't help that I was on a fast that was prayer related! It also didn't help that I still had to do the family's shopping and cooking! But I made it through, and tonight was my night to break fast. Guess what I made for dinner? :)




I modified the recipe to our taste - here's how I made it.

Roasted Cheesy Potatoes
5 pounds of potatoes
1 large yellow onion
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
12 slices of bacon, chopped into 2" lengths
spices: minced garlic, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, fresh thyme, sage, rosemary (to taste)
2 cups shredded cheese (I used Mexi-cheese)

Peel and chunk the potatoes. Coarsely chop the onion, and put the potatoes and onion in a large baking pan. Season well with your spices. Pour the oil evenly over all. Place the bacon strips on top of it all, then cover in foil, and bake at 400 for 70 minutes. Sprinkle two cups of shredded cheese on the potatoes, cover again, and heat five more minutes in the oven to melt the cheese.

Wow. This IS as good as it sounds. And I'm not just saying that 'cause I haven't eaten in a week!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try adding those spices next time I make them. Glad you liked them! They are a favorite here.

    ReplyDelete