Hotdog Hash

I thought I invented this recipe when we lived in San Antonio and my husband was the Associate Pastor, living on $150.00 a week with three kids. How did we do it? This was in the mid-90s. I don't know, but God always provided. I recently found this YouTube and it reminded me of this family favorite. I really think the kids would still today prefer it over so many other meals I could make.



Here is my recipe which is very similar:
HOTDOG HASH
Oil
Two medium potaoes per person
One hotdog per person
Half an onion per person
Salt, pepper and ketchup

Peel and cube the potatoes, chop the onion, and slice the hotdogs, thin slices work best. Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a frying pan over medium high heat. Add the potatoes and fry them for five minutes alone. Then add the onion and hotdogs (this keeps the onions from being overcooked). Cook for about five more minutes or until the potatoes are thoroughly cooked and begining to brown. Serve with salt, pepper, and ketchup. An easy, delicious, and very cheap meal that kids (and husbands) tend to love.

1 comment:

  1. Nope, you didn't invent it -- just adjusted it for your family. We ate this when Beloved Husband was recalled to active duty during the Berlin crisis in 1961. The kids grew up on this. I've since found that with the new non-stick pans using Pam to brown the potatoes, then adding a bit of water to steam, covering them but stirring every once in a while gives that same fried flavor and saves a bit of calories. This was flavorful and filling -- and built lots of memories shared from generation to generation.

    ReplyDelete